Saturday 6 January 2024

Turn the Volume....DOWN....



 ....to avoid sensory overload, because this Youtube video is completely overpowering with its hard-driving Quincas Moreira soundtrack 'Chunk'. The visuals....the audio....both may have you banging your head against a hard surface. Why?

This video is the stamp cave of the videographer's 88 year-old father. Once I turned the volume down, waaaaay down/off, the visuals were stupefying (screenshots below).

I am often asked, "What am I supposed to do with your collection after you're gone?" (my favourite variation, "in case something happens to you" and I have the strong suspicion that if my collection gets too big something will happen to me. And of course my mind races to benevolent thoughts of some future family member lovingly poring over my work someday and thinking....

  • so that's how he spent his spare time?
  • what an amazing legacy he's produced for future generations!
  • these really are amazing miniature works of art!
  • how can we make a quick buck off this?
  • what day is recycling day?
I am in awe of the stamp cave this 88 year-old has created. Clearly, adding more binders and more shelves was more important than adding drywall over the vapour-barrier! There are at least three work surfaces, catalogues, mounts and other supplies hung nearby, and then there are...the binders!
So many binders. Everything is neat, labelled, organized and in order. Custom-made pages and labelling, and custom cardboard liners to keep the pages flat, made from cereal boxes. Hey, that's perfectly good cardboard!

This looks like a full-time job for this gentleman. I not only mean the 88 year-old collector who died unexpectedly, no doubt "doing what he loved", but also his son whose duties include executing the stamp cave contents' disposition to someone else. The (SOLD) word in the title gives me some hope. The videographer/son's Youtube channel also includes a video called Marvel and DC Statue Room Tour, displaying his plethora of similarly nicely-displayed comic figures, so the collecting gene was strong!

I've stumbled on a Youtube video sub-genre I would call Overwhelming Stamp-Cave Room I Now Have to Deal With Views, with examples here and here and I'm sure the algorithm can find you many more to watch.

The original video really is worth watching. I am still in awe. And a little afraid for the future!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of stamps. I'd like to see the album of locomotives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the time this collector spent on this collection, I have no reason to believe that album wouldn't be amazing, Eric. And very, very full.
    Thanks for your comment,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete