Saturday 12 August 2023

70 Bucks o' Fun at the Gan Stamp Show!

 
I attended the Gananoque Stamp Show today, held in the upstairs room of the Gananoque Royal Canadian Legion branch. All the dealers I noted were selling stamps, no supplies. That's fine, because I wasn't really in need of supplies. In fact, my one and only buying stop was at Roy Lingen's table. Roy had two big banker's boxes of grab bags. They were slippery sleeves of scintillating stamps, I must say. I started putting ones that interested me aside, and soon had a pile rivalling K2, if perhaps not Mount Everest.
Winnowing of the winning windows of wondrous stamps continued until I had 70 bucks' worth! Look at those prices, nothing over $5 made it into my shopping bag. This is going to be hours o' sorting fun! 

I even indulged my British Commonwealth and polar philately interests with a couple of small packets. I've always considered myself a collector, not a buyer. Sitting at a table setting out to BUY specific stamps doesn't seem right to me. By buying these grab bags, I feel in some way that I'm being a somewhat-discriminating collector, sorting while looking just for what I want to collect and passing the rest on to others.

The show seemed well-attended, with overflow parking in use. Roy asked that I include a link to the Kingston Stamp Club, whom I note are holding their annual Stamp Festival this October 28 at Crossroads United Church.
Before long, we were heading east to the Gan McDonald's for some sugary and satisfying sundaes on Saturday, noting licence plates from Ohio, Vermont and Quebec while driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment