Tuesday 17 October 2023

Look What the [Stamp]cat Dragged In!

 
Every so often on my journey to restore the fun of philately into what is increasingly a stodgy, money-driven, unattainable and inaccessible, only-experts-need-apply-old-retired-guy-in-his-basement-with-dusty-old-albums hobby, I encounter a fellow traveller who successfully fights the inertia and keeps travails in the mail enjoyable. Such is StampCat (Lisa) from the GTA. A regular Youtuber, StampCat often features mail-call videos that are well-paced, well-produced and the polar opposite of many philatelic videos. I thought I would send in a mailing to say 'hi' and 'thanks'. It was nice to see it in MailDay#10 - It's Caturday Morning Mail posted three days ago.
Writing on some decidedly-unprototypical scrapbook paper as stationery (above), on the other side I endeavoured to find an alphabetical compendium of stamps from my duplicates. A non-conventional presentation which was a good exercise for me. It got me going through my duplicates, which I'm always trying to improve and streamline. My cardboard mailer exterior included a hand-drawn facsimile of the StampCat logo:
It was a treat to be 'mentioned-in-despatches' by a fellow collector who is also trying to stay above the dusty world of really boring philately and bringing new life to this old hobby of ours!
In the same mail-call video, another collector sent in a set I hadn't seen before. Hong Kong stamp-on-stamp featuring my favourite stamp, namely the Hong Kong mythical phoenix (I initially typo'd this as 'Hong King' but it does in fact feature King George VI!).
This also illustrates a nice feature of many StampCat videos - holding the stamp with tongs up to the camera and in-focus. Takes a lot of editing and the proper use of techology to get these results!

No comments:

Post a Comment