Sunday 10 March 2024

Finally...Cigar Box Time!


At last October's Kingston stamp show I came home with some good buys including a cigar box that I bought from the Kingston Stamp Club consignment table. A quick peek revealed two things: it was quite full, and it had some GOOD stuff inside.
I decided that it would be the denouement of all the baggies and stock pages I had to go through. OK, I have a stock sheet of British Commonwealth and a stock sheet of French colonies to go through still. (I'm angry at the latter because I spent some time last month straightening out in my mind the French colonies: Afrique Occidentale Francaise, Affars and Issas and many, many more, and then that rogue stock sheet found its way to the top of the pile.) So that stock sheet is now officially delayed...

Most of the winter's stamps went to get soaked, sorted, and various dispositions like traders and donations.  The cigar box's turn had finally come! Before the sort began:
I did an initial sort, removing what I didn't want to keep. Then it was time to sort the British Commonwealth, a lot of South Africa, South-West Africa, Mauritius and more that I would be keeping for my collection! Lots of Denmark, Norway and some unusual US. 

I often use a Michaels lap desk for sorting. It has an edge around it and is high enough to reduce neck strain. Before (above) and after (below) - from top left: RSA/SWA, US, Denmark, Norway, everything else and at bottom right British Commonwealth new and B.C. older:

Not to mention the cigar box itself - a real work of art and surprisingly difficult to open. That's probably what kept it safe and sealed all these years until I purchased it for the princely sum of five bucks. I'm not going to count the stamps, nor estimate the number this 'stogie stow' contained. It was a ton o' fun! Thanks to the collector that squirrelled these away and put them on the consignment table!

2 comments:

  1. Eric - though it has been 30 + years since my grandfather tried to interest me in collecting (I stuck with trains...) ....must say...am enjoying your rediscovery of this hobby and "rehearing" some familiar terms. In my mind, I can see 30 guggilion little hinges. Stick on. John F. Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John. Getting my collection finally albumized means a LOT of hinges. I bought a couple of packs at a local stamp show, at 1000 hinges/pack. Then I ordered 6 packages online. And I JUST ordered another 5 packs.

    I'm glad you're enjoying this as much as I am. So much about stamp collecting can be so stodgy and especially when it's older collectors trying to interest young people. That is usually an uphill battle.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete